Make your own free website on


Serious Matters

It was around this time that we had a meeting where a few people were called up front for prayers and the "laying on of hands"; some were set-in as elders in the assembly. Then I was called up and after the laying on of hands and prophecy; I was confirmed a prophet (seer). I had been having visions for a few years and was always encouraged to share them, which I did. Still, I really needed the extra assurance that the Lord wanted to use me in this way...I did get the reassurance. Some of the other prophets wrote down visions that they had during the prayers, I kept them for many of them came through our daughter Rose.

One of the elders told me that I would have a more pure "word" from the Lord, if I stayed clear of all gossip - I really believed that was "the Word of the Lord", and have always kept clear of it; sometimes people think that I'm not interested or don't want to get involved with them - but, in actuality, I'm trying to stay away from gossip.

I had trouble with fear for most of my life, and it got really bad when we first got to the farm - I also had a great fear of "deliverance" (having heard tapes about deliverance). I gained confidence in the Lord and the brethren on the farm, and came to the place where I didn't want to put up with that "fear thing" any longer.

I spoke with one of the elders about it, and he arranged a "deliverance" for me; all the elders were to meet at one of the cabins (I would be there), and they would pray for me...for deliverance; it was scheduled right after lunch. This had been an overpowering fear of mine, since I had become a Christian - but, I was determined to be rid of it. I sat in a chair in the middle of the room; the elders gathered around me. What was really amazing, was that I had no fear at all - from the moment that I had decided to go ahead with it.

The Lord had given me a scripture: "Greater is He that is in you, than he that is in the world." And, I hung onto those words...there was no fear. The elders prayed, came against any spirit that might be in me; as usual, there were some of the vision-seeing prophets in attendance - so, they would say any visions they might receive (that had to do with the deliverance). There was such a love radiating from all the elders and the prophets...that love drove back the fear. After three hours, through visions that came forth, it was determined that "...this kind come out by prayer and fasting."

I learned a great deal THROUGH this experience - that God is greater than anything else, and there is a deep love inside the brethren for each other. Everyone gave me a big hug, when they were leaving and words of encouragement. I never feared "deliverance", from that time on - and was called in for a few of them, because I was needed (should the Lord give me a vision showing what was happening).

My Mom had kept in touch with us, very regularly...and now she wanted to come up to visit us in the summer. She had flown to Washington state, with my half-brother, Bob, to see us when Rose was, she was willing to fly across the continent, again, to see us in Canada...she was beginning to become a world-traveler. She still worked at Foster Grant, making sunglasses.

Mom spent a few weeks with us; she liked the farm life, enjoyed the meetings (even "shared" a few times). When she got back to Massachusetts, she began to write about feeling the Lord was speaking to her about coming to live on the farm. We encouraged her to go to some local meetings, to see if she agreed with what was being preached...she went a few times, but couldn't go regularly because of her full time job and it was quite a long drive to where the meetings were held.

A few months later she asked one of the elders to get visions, to see if God would confirm that she was feeling to come to live with us. The elders were also notified on our end, at the farm. Both sides got visions, and they showed that it was indeed the Lord speaking to her.

Mom now had a long road ahead of her. She had to see about an early retirement - this was no problem, because her doctor had been after her for a long time to retire - she was given a complete disability, early retirement. She had not been well for many years: thyroid disease (we found out years later), pituitary problem, heart problems.

Her second husband had been wandering for years, and she finally got a legal separation from him; and now, in order to immigrate into Canada, she had to settle the matter with her husband, before she could complete her immigration application. Being a Christian, she had prayed for years about a divorce, a second divorce for her. Now she felt to go ahead with it, to start a new life. Her immigration status was established right away and there was no problem at all.

We were eager to have her with hadn't always been that way, but since we had become Christians (she had about 10 years before us), we had the Lord in common and things were much improved between us. We asked permission from the elders to add on to our cabin, to make a room for her - it was granted and we were all ready for her.

We were hoping to get to know some of the other people who lived on the farm - so one evening we asked our next door neighbors if they would be at home; they had quite a few children and we thought we might have something in common. We visited, but didn't get very "deep" with them, but that was alright, it was just a first visit.

The next night there was a regular meeting and he got up to minister...he spoke on how we shouldn't try to get to know each other "after the flesh", and hit on a few things we had talked about the evening before - that was the end of visiting for us; we never did get to know anybody, outside of working with them in the daytime.

A whole summer lay ahead of us...a lot of garden work, some cabin building; Joe built a drying house, with our son David helping him. It was quite a project. He decided to build it near the vegetables, which was a good place to start. Then, he built it on the top of a hill, so there could be a wood stove set up just below the drying house - this would heat the house up, when the heat would rise, and it could be fed wood from the outside...not getting in the way of the women who would be working inside the drying house.

Joe and David built the house, furnished it with a cook stove, then drying racks all across one wall. There were tables in the middle of the one room, to work on and shelves and countertops along the other sides. It was quite efficient. This project took awhile, but was finished in time for the harvest, which began quite early...things have to grow FAST or not at all, up North.

The women began drying vegetables right was fun, at first. We washed, cut, blanched, drained and then put them on the drying racks; beneath the racks (outside), as the wood stove. We fired it up and then went home; everybody took turns to be sure the stove was kept full - one of the men kept it going through the night. The following morning, we turned the vegetables over on the racks; what was dried thoroughly was removed and put into airtight containers. Then they were stored in the upstairs of the Tabernacle, until that was filled - next, we put them into one of the root cellars (by now we had dug two of them).

When the veggies got ahead of us, we asked the young girls from school to help. Our daughter Lisa and her class, spent a few days washing and cutting green onions - by the time they were finished, none of the girls ever wanted to see another onion. To this day, Lisa won't eat one, if she can see it...we used onion powder when she was still at home.

Here it was, beautiful summer...we had a travelling ministry come through, which was quite often and he was to have a baptism service, in the Graham River. The Spring flooding was over, the river had gone down quite a bit...but was always cold (because it came from the run-off of snow up in the mountains). Two of the elders gathered at the river, with hip-hugger, rubber boots on. A few of the brethren had not been baptized since they first "believed", and wanted to have it done.

One of the men had seen a baptism service, somewhere back in his life, and he was of the opinion that you went down into the water "face first" - so, he was determined, no matter how hard the two elders tried to get him in "backwards"...he was determined to go down the other way. Eventually, he got the picture and went down under. One of the elder's boots filled up with water and he just about froze doing those few baptisms.

While the travelling ministry was with us, we also had a foot washing ceremony. We had never had one before, so there was teaching on it right before the ceremony. We formed two lines (all those who wanted to participate), and we washed the feet of whomever we were opposite...I had the young girl who had traveled to Canada with us (and her family). It was quite meaningful; but we never did it again during the years we were on the farm. We had discussed it, but the elders felt it wasn’t the thing to do, anymore (for some reason).

I had been feeling that I should be one of the bread bakers for the farm; in those days, we needed to get visions for everything that we felt to do. I went to an elder and he said he would get the visions. A few weeks later, he asked to talk with me; he had the visions and they confirmed that the Lord did want me to go in that direction. I told him how I was always prone to quit something, once I started and that I wanted to finish this - so, not to let me quit until the work had been done in me, through this bread baking and all it ensued. He said he would remember, and he wouldn't let me quit until the right time.

He was faithful, and I baked bread in spite of all the complaints that just naturally come when people's diets are being changed; I baked bread for about 8 months. It was no easy matter, because it was between 20-30 loaves of bread; and you had to bake them while the wood cook stoves were being used for the noon meal. Which meant that they were usually far too hot for good bread...somehow you had to come up with good bread, in spite of it all.

© All Rights Reserved

Special permission from:
must be obtained to print this content.

Pen Name: Aimee Love



Addition to our cabin, when Mom was coming to live with us.